- As authorized under the provisions of the Texas Education Code (TEC),TPHS has expanded the types of educational programs it delivers and now provides services through:
- Four public, open-enrollment charter school districts awarded by the Texas State Board of Education under Chapter 12 of the Texas Education Code (TEC) in 1998.
- Community-based drop recovery program that also provides services to students at-risk of dropping out of school, as defined under Chapter 29, TEC;
- Contracts with school districts to provided services to youth under the provisions of Chapter 37, TEC, Disciplinary Alternative Education Programs (DAEP); and
ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE OF TPHS
- To operate and maintain, without profit, facilities and centers to assist young persons, who are considered to be “at risk” and/or have “dropped-out” of public educational institutions, in providing them with educational alternatives which will enhance their ability to achieve higher levels of educational or vocational attainment through remediation and competency based curriculums and programs which will ultimately prepare them in living successfully in their community;
- To provide adequate supportive services to such young people in a manner which will effectively enhance their educational and vocational goals;
- To work in cooperation with public, private and governmental agencies concerned with the educational and vocational problems of such young people; and
- To contract with such entities in furtherance of the above described purposes.
OPEN ENROLLMENT CHARTER SCHOOLS AUTHORIZATION
Purpose of Charter Schools
- The legislative intent of the new law was based on the belief that open-enrollment charter schools could provide:
- New avenues for decentralization,
- New avenues for local restructuring
- Choice options for parents and students within the public education system.
- However, a more important purpose is to encourage flexibility and innovation in teaching and learning practices in order to improve student performance.
CURRENT VISION, MISSION AND TEACHING PHILOSOPHY OF EACH CHARTER DISTRICT